The Darling Homemaker

The Darling Homemaker

Monday, January 30, 2012

In the Kitchen with Jacqueline


Happy Monday!

     Today I'll like to share a Mexican recipe that was a staple at my parents house when I was growing up. I didn't like it much then, but today, I just love it! It brings back so many wonderful childhood memories, that I want my little ones to grow up knowing and savoring the same foods I grew up with... So here it is; Calabaza Con Pollo ( Squash with Chicken)
Recipe as follows:

2-3 lbs. chicken legs
1 calabaza
1 zucchini
1 yellow squash
1 yellow onion or you can substitute 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 Tablespoons corn oil
1 Tablespoon salt
1 tsp. black pepper
3 tsp. garlic powder or to your taste
3 tsp. ground cumin or to your taste
1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce


Rinse and boil chicken with a little salt, pepper, and garlic until done. Remove chicken from pot, saving the broth for later,  now bone the chicken, set aside.
Wash all the squash, tomato, onion, and cup up in cubes, set aside.
Mix all the dry ingredients salt, pepper, garlic, and cumin, set aside.
In a large pan add  2 Tablespoons of corn oil and saute all the vegetables for approximately 10 minutes or until you can see everything nice and tender. Add drained kernel corn, tomato sauce, dry spice mix, and chicken. Add 2 cups of chicken broth from the chicken boil, gently mix all ingredients, coating everything well.
Cover and simmer on medium heat for about 20-30 minutes. 


Enjoy!

xox,
Jacqueline- The Darling Homemaker

6 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! We will give it a try. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a colorful dish! Looks good!
    Love your apron by the way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies for stopping by.

    Love,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I cook like this as well, having been raised much of my life in Latin America. I haven't tried this variation with the squash - must try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alexandria, You must try it. I hope you like it...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Bit late on my comments but just found your blog .will give you recipe a go sounds great , by the way love your aprons and your outfits your are talented :)

    ReplyDelete