The Darling Homemaker

The Darling Homemaker

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Vintage Fashion and It's Baking Time

 Happy Saturday!
 
     I hope everyone kicked in the New Year with plenty of CHEERS! I've been doing a whole lot of house work and helping the little ones with their homework, plenty of work which prevented me from creating posts. However, I am thankful for this beautiful Saturday morning.  I finally get to take a step back and do a little posting here, thank goodness...

Well, these photos are from yesterday. I am wearing a 1950s pale pink dress with tiny little flowers, roses and daisies. It is so feminine, it makes me feel like a doll. My shoes are Betsy Johnson a gift from my Mama.  My mama knows how much I love old-fashioned styles so she is always on the look out for things I may want to marry, but what mother doesn't do that for her daughters, right?


 Anyway, look who is in the pic, none other than my orange cat, Mr. Gato.  He kept coming to me as I was taking pictures,  I guess he wanted to be part of this post. Gotta love my cat.  Oh well, let's go back inside the house, I have a wonderful Southern Cake recipe to share with you all. I call this cake, South Texas Lemon Cake.

 Yesterday I baked a 1-2-3-4 Cake. You all probably know this recipe well, but for those of who don't the recipes is as follows:

2 sticks of butter

2 cups sugar

3 cups sifted Swans Down Cake flour

4 eggs

1 cup milk (whole or low fat)

3 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 almond extract


Now for the Baking:

Preheat your oven to 350. Butter and lightly flour 2- 9 inch round layer pans. Sift Swans Down Cake Flour, then lightly spoon 3 cups cake flour into measuring cup.
Cream butter until smooth in a large bowl. Gradually add sugar, creaming until light and fluffy. Sift the already sifted cake flour with the baking powder and salt. Add eggs on at a time to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with milk and flavorings, blended after each addition until smooth. Pour into prepared pans, and bake for about 45 minutes or until tester inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and finish cooling on racks.



 Now for the Lemon Filling:

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons water

2 egg yokes, slightly beaten

2 tablespoons of butter

1 tablespoon grated lemon rind

3 tablespoons lemon juice

Combine sugar and cornstarch: gradually stir in water. Cook over  medium heat, string constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Continue boiling 1 minute.

Gradually stir one-fourth of hot mixture into the egg yokes; add to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.

Return to a boil; cook 1 to 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly . Remove from heat and continue stirring until smooth. Stir in the butter, lemon rind, and lemon juice. Cool. Yield: about 2 cups.


 And for the Fluffy Frosting:

1 cup of sugar

1/3 cup water

1/4 tsp cream of tartar

2 egg whites

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/2 tsp almond extract

Combine sugar, water, and cream of tartar in heavy sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture reaches thread stage(232).
   Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form; continue to beat, slowly adding syrup mixture. Add flavorings; beat well. Yield: enough for a one 3- layer cake, so you will have some frosting left.

^;^


 Now everyone gets to enjoy a bite of Lemon Cake! Mmmmmmmm...Good!


 Last, my daughter Davina has been helping in the kitchen.

 Isn't she cute? We have matching aprons.



This is all for now...enjoy your weekend.


xox,
Jacqueline- The Darling Homemaker

P.S. The top 3 pics were taken by my beautiful daughter Davina, thanks  sweetheart.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, your kitty cat is too precious! I have such an affinity for orange kitties even though mine is black and white!

    In other words though, you look absolutely too lovely for words in this dress... You truly are such a classic beauty and have such a niche for vintage fashion! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren,
    You are so sweet. Thank you for your gracious comment.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You for sharing your Lemon Cake. I love Lemon.
    Love the photo's. Thanks for sharing. I have an orange cat too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Carla! Thanks for stopping by and for the wonderful comment. I love to bake cakes from the good old days (homemade from scratch) they taste so different, very delicate, if you ask me. I find them to be delicious...
    About Cats ^;^ don't you think cats make the purrrfect pet? It's good to know you have an orange cat too.

    ReplyDelete