The Darling Homemaker

The Darling Homemaker

Friday, March 9, 2012

A very nice gift!

Hello Lovelies! 
     I received a wonderful gift from my oldest son Erasmo a couple of weeks ago. He came to visit me and brought me non other than a Molcajete pronounced ( mohl-kah-HEH-teh.) It is a kitchen tool made from  volcano rock and serves as a mortar. Growing up my mother and grandmothers all owned one, and I remember thinking to myself...hmmm, when I grow up I am going to have one of those in my kitchen. I just didn't think it was going to come to me as a gift from my son... Well, the molcajete is black in color and has a very rough texture. It is accompanied by a grinding tooled called tejolote (teh-hoh-LOH-teh) and it is made of the same material. Now, before using the molcajete I need to season it or cure it before use. Otherwise, the granules of the volcanic rock will end up in the spice or veggie mix, and I don't want that to happen, Oh NO!!! So the seasoning begins:

1st Soak the molcajete for several hours and remove it from the water and let it dry.
2nd Add 1/4 cup white rice and start grinding the rice with the tejolote until it becomes powder. Now, dump it and repeat the process until the grounded rice remains white. Once this process is done, It is ready for use, TA DAA! Now I am ready to put it use and prepare my family some nice meals, just like this one.



That is all for now enjoy your weekend!

xox,
Jacqueline

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful gift! We have a couple of those around the farm from back when they had hired hands. I haven't used one yet, but this post has inspired me to get one out and give it a try...what type of recipe would you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can make any recipe that calls for spices, but instead of using the ground type of spices buy the whole. Then, using the molcajete grind the spices in the traditional manner, just to give the food a fresh burst of good spice flavor. I like to make beef stew, baked fish, and chicken with squash to name a few...

      Thanks for stopping by,
      Jacqueline

      Delete
  2. It is beautiful! Love the color of the rock.
    Have fun cooking!

    ReplyDelete