The Darling Homemaker

The Darling Homemaker

Monday, July 22, 2013

Texas Travel Part One


 Visiting Presidio La Bahia Chapel and Mission Fort in Goliad, Texas.  It is the third oldest municipality in the State of Texas, and it was occupied before recorded history. (The picture below of the Chapel was not taken by me, the image via www.city-data.com.) 


 Our Lady of Loreto Chapel in Goliad is one of the oldest chapels and offers Sundays service, wow, how about that!  I was also told people get married in this chapel, that is so nice... One more thing, I did not take a picture of a grave with a tombstone that is right in front of the church, but I thought it was nice for that person to be buried so close to a place of worship.


The timber log cabin called Eggleston-House in Gonzales, Texas was our next stop.  It was built around 1845 after the Texas revolution.  It has been kept as a museum to give us a glimpse of how life used to be in the 1800's.

 We also payed a visit to several other places in Gonzales. The Gonzales Memorial Museum was one of them.  The monument  in the picture below is in honor of those who fought the first battle of the Texas Revolution, and for the 32 patriots who later answered to Travis' call for help when he was at the Alamo.  (photograph below of the museum was not taken by me it is from http://www.meanderandgander.com)

 The Museum featured Mexican relics, WWII artifacts, rifles and other vintage weapons, documents, as well as other interesting items, for example, some of the clothing the ladies would sew along with other  belongings.


 The main attraction for us was the cannon that caused the Texas Revolution.  It took part in the first battle when the Texans called  the Mexican troops to " Come and Take it."  Who would of thought such a small weapon could cause a revolution.


Then, we stopped to visit the old jail museum.  It was built in 1887 and was used up until 1975.  Inside there are cells built of metal, a dungeon with only several air holes, gallows that terrified me when I walked up to the platform, and the jailers quarters.  This jail was extremely hot, I just don't understand how any human could have survived being locked up in such a place.  One thing is for sure, if I would have lived in those years I would not  want to be arrested and locked up, it would have been torture.





 Father and son bonding inside the old jail museum.

 Before leaving Gonzales I took one last look at the beautiful architecture the County Courthouse building had, it was built in 1896 and it's designed in a Romanesque Revival style designed  by J. Riely Gordon with so much detail it is breath taking.  It is located adjacent to the old jail museum. (image below via  http://www.texasescapes.com)


Last, we traveled to Luling, Texas Watermelon Thump Festival.  This little town was established in 1874 and it is also known as the toughest town in Texas.  Oil was discovered here in 1922 so you can imagine the excitement.  If you ever get to visit Luling you will see some of the active wells around the town.  It also holds the world famous Watermelon Thump Festival filled with music, food, vendors, arts and crafts, carnival rides, and the watermelon seed spitting contest.


Take a look at this gorgeous rack of vintage aprons, it's so sad they were not for sale.

 Well, that does it for now...I hope you all enjoyed the first part of my Texas Travel.




 Love,
Jacqueline






3 comments:

  1. I love it. I love Texas. My aunt and uncle live in Texas.
    I love Travis...he is one of my favorite heroes. I did not know all that much about him until we visited the Alamo. He was very special indeed. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love visiting historical buildings, always so much history.
    The Watermelon Festival sounds fun! Didn't even know there was such a thing.
    Looking forward to part two!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing those photos! I love historical trips also, especially having to do with the southwest. And you look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete