The Darling Homemaker

The Darling Homemaker

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Inspiration 1940s Summer Dress



Hello Lovelies,

Over a year ago I became so inspired to create a 1940s summer dress similar to Simplicity pattern 4660.  The inspiration came from Tasha blog.bygumbygolly.com she sewed this adorable summer dress over a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with the dress design .




 I was unable to find a similar pattern therefore, I had to improvise.  The top and sleeves of the dress were sketched, and cut out of paper by yours truly; on the other hand, the skirt is from 1980s Simplicity pattern 7435. 


    Although the dress seemed pretty simple to sew, I have to admit the most difficult part for me was attaching the top to the skirt.

 As for the back button closure, I opted for a zipper. 


 Also, sewing the pockets on a full gathered skirt was a bit difficult, but in the end I was happy with the results.  Other than that the construction went fluently.






 And now I get to enjoy this adorable end of the summer dress.

A special thank you is due to Tasha for sharing her sewing projects with the world, and inspiring me to create this summer dress.  If you would like to read Tasha's blog post on sewing Simplicity pattern 4660 just click here http://blog.bygumbygolly.com/2012/06/finished-project-no-more-sewing-slump.html

  That is all for now.

Love,
Jacqueline

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! You did a marvelous job of re-creating it. And you love so lovely in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heide,
    I was very pleased with the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jacqueline!
    I am visiting you from Apron History, and I think your blog is absolutely charming. I will be reading my way back through your archives.
    Your end-of-summer dress is perfect for a vintage homemaker. You look like you could be hanging wash out on the line, or pickling cucumbers in a sweltering kitchen. And might I add, I think you are very beautiful. I have always wanted to be a brunette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear WendyBee,
    You are so sweet. Reading your comment just brightened my day.

    I send you blessings to you and yours,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete