The Darling Homemaker

The Darling Homemaker

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Wrap Around Apron Dress, 1955

Hello Lovelies,
I've recently finished sewing a wrap around apron.  It is meant to be worn as an apron not a dress, but I like to wear it as a dress.  It was easy to sew without complications and enjoyable to wear.  However, when I opened the vintage pattern envelope and took out the pieces I noticed the belt attachment piece was missing.  Therefore, I had to create the belt piece pattern by drawing it out of paper to be able to complete the apron.  A word of advise, be very careful when purchasing vintage patterns online as they may be incomplete.  Some may be missing pattern pieces or the sewing instruction pamphlet. The seller may not be aware pieces may be missing due to being unfamiliar with sewing patterns. So just be careful, what may be complete to some individuals may not really be..  I've experienced both pesky situations, but the good thing is with an easy to sew patterns one can always improvise.

McCall's Pattern 1948

 Nevertheless, after I was done sewing the apron I found the armholes to have a gap as you can see in the pic above. I am not familiar with making alterations to fix this problem, but it will be something I will definitely look into in the near future to make my clothes fit better.  Again, you can see the armhole gap in the pic below still visible from back view.  I believe this is because it is meant to be worn over clothing, after all, it is an apron not a dress.  Aside from the armhole gap the front and back appear to look very good, and the apron drapes perfectly well.

As has been noted, to create the missing belt pattern piece I drew a similar piece based on the image in front of the pattern envelope to make the pattern complete.


Although this pattern comes with a  donut and coffee applique transfer I did not incorporate this applique into the pocket, only because I felt the desire of making the apron look more like a dress for personal taste, this way I can just step out of the house when I have an unexpected errand to run and look presentable.

That is all for now...

Wearing:
1955 Apron Dress Made By Me
Vintage Cherry Brooch and Earrings
Two Bakelite Bangles plus One Red Bangle from Forever Twenty One
Re-Mix Pleated Toe Sandals

Love,
Jacqueline



6 comments:

  1. Amazing! You did an amazing job. Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a beautiful apron/dress. the print of the fabric is perfect for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous dress! I love the button detailing at the waistline. I have the same issue with gaping at the armholes and have found that an FBA (Full Bust Adjustment) helps them to be set properly. Thank you for sharing your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovelies, thanks for stopping by and leaving such wonderful comments.

    Love,
    Jacqueline

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing Job with wrap around apron dress

    ReplyDelete
  6. The apron dress looks beautiful! I also love the photographs. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete