The Darling Homemaker

The Darling Homemaker

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

My Six-Gore Acorn Skirt



Hello lovelies,
I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving.  It's been a while now that I've not blogged about my sewing, or for that matter, other homemaking posts.  This is due to paying more attention to other things that are happening in my life rather than making time to do one of the things I really enjoy, which is blogging.  Yes, I've neglected my blog, but not anymore.  I am making a commitment to once again blog more often.  Anyways, I had been wanting to blog about my finished six-gore skirt this past month, but with Thanksgiving preparations in full swing I was unable to do it, but December has saved the lack of posting I had in November, thank goodness for that.  And now I am able to share with all of you my sewing project.  So here is the pattern I used for making the skirt.

 

ADVANCED pattern 7834, and If I'm correct the style is from the 1950s, it is a vintage pattern of course.  Consisting of four major  pattern pieces, plus the waistband. It is an easy to sew design so it didn't take long to sew maybe just a couple of hours. This skirt has been on my list since last year, and I am so glad a year later I am able to sew it. I've made a promise to myself not to procrastinate when it comes to my sewing.

 (Fabric - Hobby Lobby)

 As far as the fabric goes I went ahead and used cotton blend with acorn and leaf designs, a design that would be suitable for Fall and be wearable on Thanksgiving day.


The skirt opens with a side zipper, it is difficult to see from this photo, but it's there.  The gores are fitted hugging the hipline, and it is moderately flared to the hemline. The waistband sits just above the navel which im my opinion accentuates the figure.


There are times when I have to alter the pattern or the finished garment once I am done sewing it, but I did not have to do any alterations to this pattern or the finished skirt which I thought was pretty cool. I just followed the instruction, and it turned out very well with a precise fit for my body.  I just love when things like this happen especially when one is short on time.


Wearing:
Besame - Cosmetics
1928 Necklace
Arizona Sweater - JCP
Brown Bow Belt - Target
Skirt - Made By Me
Dan Post Cowgirl Boots

Overall, the skirt is comfortable, stylish, and good looking. I recommend this pattern for those who are learning to sew, and I give it 5 stars plus the darling homemaker stamp approval. 

Love,
     Jacqueline     


2 comments:

  1. Your skirt turned out lovely! I love the yellow sweater with it. Great job.

    Nice to hear from you again! Looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so, sooo lovely! Acorns are such a charming emblem of the season. It's a shame they don't appear in clothing more often. I love that you opted to make this classic skirt with a fabric featuring them and sporting a great fall palette. The two go together splendidly!

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete